On 22 Nov 2022, at 9:34, Dan Mack wrote:

> It disappears a piece at a time - the oldest entries disappear first.
> However, it vanishes even when there are only 2-3 lines in it so I didn't
> think capacity was in play as I expected.
>
> So for example I might see a rate-limit entry from someone spamming the
> system and then it will usually be gone in a couple days and the buffer is
> completely empty.   Similarly if I do something like ifconfig em0 down;
> ifconfig em0 up ; it's logged but disappears after a day or so.
>
> I'm looking to see if this is just a cron job or something clearing it as it
> might be user-error on my part.   Also this is an older system so I'll
> probably look at it again after I update.

I noticed this too, but discovered with “dmesg -a” that the buffer was full
of syslog messages, so dmesg without -a showed nothing.

It seems unfortunate that syslog messages logged in the message buffer, at
least once syslogd is running.  Apparently this happens because they are
output to /dev/console.

                Mike