--------
Warner Losh writes:

> It close to impossible to isolate the drive making the noise.

Use a long thin piece of hard wood as a stethoscope.

I keep a 30cm length of 6mm beech dowel in my tool-chest,
but in a pinch you can use a pencil or the shaft from an
art-brush.

Press one end agaist the little piece of cartilage which
can close into your ear, and hold the other end against the suspect
disk-drive, and you hear if there are any mechanical issues.

It also works for fans, motors, bikes etc.

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956