On 2023-01-04 6:59 PM, grarpamp wrote:
looks like the "make delete-old-libs" has deleted that lib pam_opie.so.6
and now I cannot pass the login prompt
says the error "pam_opie.so: not found

how can I get it back? I tried everything and nothing brought it back

commit 0aa2700123e22c2b0a977375e087dc2759b8e980
Differential Revision: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D36592

This appeared as perhaps an arbitrary deletion change for some
unknown non-discussed reason. Someone else posted the problems,
user features, and alternatives that would preserve and update use of
OPIE options for FreeBSD users, but again, no one discussed.

Security team has discussed this a decade ago. See https://www.miknet.net/security/skey-dungeon-attack/ for technical details.

And this could have been avoided if user have followed source upgrade instructions by performing mergemaster or etcupdate *before* make delete-old{-libs}, which is well documented in /usr/src/UPDATING and I quote it here:

        To upgrade in-place from stable to current
        <make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
        make buildworld                                 [9]
        make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE      [8]
        make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                                                        [1]
        <reboot in single user>                         [3]
        etcupdate -p                                    [5]
        make installworld
        etcupdate -B                                    [4]
        make delete-old                                 [6]
        <reboot>

The order here is very important.

Cheers,