I recently logged into one of my FreeBSD systems from an alacritty terminal. FreeBSD didn't have a termcap entry for alacritty so I generated one with tic and all was well. However, I noticed the following issues with the TERM* related tools (I guess this is all from contrib/ncurses in /usr/src).

Specifically, the issue is for example - the tic(1M) man page says in the FILES section:

 /usr/share/misc/terminfo/?/*
    Compiled terminal description database.

However, when you run tic(1M), the compiled terminal files are actually placed in /usr/share/terminfo/?/* . I thought I could create a simple one line fix by re-defining the definition for *d in the manpage, however, it looks like there there might be a need to create two separate directory variables instead.

On FreeBSD-Current HEAD (2d3614fb132b1cb8efd1e0accdd0c98ce6893efa) I am seeing two directories in use:

  /usr/share/terminfo/?    - compiled entries created by tic(1M)
and
  /usr/share/misc          - contains the files termcap and termcap.db

Looks like this directory reference is set to *d here in the tic manpage:

18259542b2f8f contrib/ncurses/man/tic.1m 2000-10-11 07:31:01 +0000 37) .ds d @TERMINFO@

Since this is also set in alot of other places, we probably need someone to make some sort of decision :-)

Dan