Quoting bob prohaska <f...@www.zefox.net> (from Tue, 30 May 2023 08:36:21 -0700):

I suggest to review changes ("df" instead of "tf" in etcupdate) to at least
those files which you know you have modified, including the password/group
stuff. After that you can decide if the diff which is shown with "df" can be
applied ("tf"), or if you want to keep the old version ("mf"), or if you
want to modify the current file ("e", with both versions present in the file
so that you can copy/paste between the different versions and keep what you
need).

The key sequences required to copy and paste between files in the edit screen
were elusive. Probably it was thought self-evident, but not for me. I last tried it long ago, via mergemaster. Is there is a guide to commands for merging files
using /etcupdate? Is it in the vi man page? I couldn't find it.

etcupdate respects the EDITOR env-variable. You can use any editor you like there.

Typically I use the mouse to copy&paste myself and google every time I can't (https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-copy-cut-paste-in-vim/).

Bye,
Alexander.

--