On 7 Jul 2023, at 6:06, John F Carr wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2023, at 20:42, Mike Karels <m...@karels.net> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for isolating this.  Let me know when you have the bug number.
>> I just tested a fix (the compat code drops the reference on the current
>> address space an extra time, probably freeing it).
>>
>> Mike

The fix is in
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=be30fd3ab2e8418a696e69f54a91a7e2db5962de.

> The bug was introduced in January, 2022.   It allows 32 bit binaries to crash
> a 64 bit system when COMPAT_FREEBSD32 is on.  Test coverage of the buggy
> function (sysctl_kern_proc_vm_layout) was added at the same time.
>
> There should be routine runs of 32 bit test suites on 64 bit systems.
> Although i386 and armv7 are tier 2 systems, the tier 1 COMPAT_FREEBSD32
> kernel code needs to be exercised.  This bug was only discovered by manually
> running tests in the right environment, 17 months after automated testing
> could have discovered it.

That is not so simple currently, as the shared libraries for the
test environment are not part of 32-bit compatibility package.
The required bits could be extracted from the corresponding 32-bit
build, but that isn't easy to automate.  Fortunately, I think that
very few of the tests exercise any 32-bit-specific code paths.

                Mike