Am 2023-08-20 23:17, schrieb Konstantin Belousov:
On Sun, Aug 20, 2023 at 11:07:08PM +0200, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
On 8/20/23, Alexander Leidinger <alexan...@leidinger.net> wrote:
> Am 2023-08-20 22:02, schrieb Mateusz Guzik:

>>> 122 nullfs mounts on this system. And every jail I setup has several
>>> null mounts. One basesystem mounted into every jail, and then shared
>>> ports (packages/distfiles/ccache) across all of them.

>>> That would be fantastic.
>>>

>> I did a quick test, things are shared locked as expected.
>>
>> However, I found the following:
>>         if ((xmp->nullm_flags & NULLM_CACHE) != 0) {
>>                 mp->mnt_kern_flag |=
>> lowerrootvp->v_mount->mnt_kern_flag &
>>                     (MNTK_SHARED_WRITES | MNTK_LOOKUP_SHARED |
>>                     MNTK_EXTENDED_SHARED);
>>         }
>>
>> are you using the "nocache" option? it has a side effect of xlocking
>
> I use noatime, noexec, nosuid, nfsv4acls. I do NOT use nocache.

If you don't have "nocache" on null mounts, then I don't see how this
could happen.

There is also MNTK_NULL_NOCACHE on lower fs, which is currently set for
fuse and nfs at least.

11 of those 122 nullfs mounts are ZFS datasets which are also NFS exported. 6 of those nullfs mounts are also exported via Samba. The NFS exports shouldn't be needed anymore, I will remove them.

Shouldn't this implicit nocache propagate to the mount of the upper fs to give the user feedback about the effective state?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF