On Fri, 01 Sep 2023 13:03:14 +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> I have a laptop wioth a AMD Ryzen 5 and a tower with a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.
>
> These are respectively Zen 1 and Zen 2 CPUs.
>
> I built a kernel on both computers using the FreeBSD-15 source tree.
>
> If I include the amdtemp device in my kernel file BOTH computers end up
> with a kernel panic while trying to attach the amdtemp device.
>
> If I remove amdtemp both computers boot without any issues.
>
> I suspect that this commit is the cause:
>
> commit 323a94afb6236bcec3a07721566aec6f2ea2b209
> Author: Akio Morita <akio.mor...@kek.jp>
> Date:   Tue Aug 1 22:32:12 2023 +0200
>
>     amdsmn(4), amdtemp(4): add support for Zen 4
>
>     Zen 4 support, tested on Ryzen 9 7900
>
>     Reviewed by:    imp (previous version), mhorne
>     Approved by:    mhorne
>     Obtained from:  http://jyurai.ddo.jp/~amorita/diary/?date=20221102#p01
>     Differential Revision:  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D41049

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Now I probably know why my old kernel from stable/13 no longer booted
after updating to stable/14. I've create a new kernel config and
forgot to add "device amdtemp" & "device amdsmn" and forgot about the
issue. After removing only "device amdtemp" from my old kernel config
it boots again.

Unfortunately reverting this commit (git revert -n 323a94afb623)
doesn't resolve this issue. Old kernel does not boot if "device
amdtemp" is enabled. Probably wrong commit or I am doing somethig
wrong!?

--
Herbert