On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 at 21:24, Kyle Evans <kev...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/24/23 20:03, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > What "modules" are being provied by Ventoy, I do not know
> > of any FreeBSD modules being provided by Ventoy, it is an
> > EFI shim that loads the FreeBSD loader, and the loader
> > does all the work.
> >
> > Again, perhaps I do not see this as I am only using ventoy
> > in EFI mode.
>
> There's an accompanying geom module as well, source available[0] for
> every version they support (except 14.x, apparently, despite having a
> built blob in the geom_ventoy_ko dir).  It's a little annoying to try
> and understand the problems they're running into from version to
> version, IMO, since they just publish the entire module again for each
> version rather than maintaining some __FreeBSD_version shims or something.

In particular, the kernel does not use EFI services for the root filesystem.

At one point I did take a quick look at the differences between
Ventoy's 11.x/12.x/13.x kernel module source and my recollection is
that the differences are just typical accommodation for kernel KPI
changes. With where we are in the 14.0 release cycle the only thing to
do is have support appear via a Ventoy update.

Ventoy is a very interesting project though and I would like to look
at consistent and maintainable FreeBSD/Ventoy support in the future.
This could be done either by continuing to use geom_ventoy but
bringing it into our release (via a port or in the base system), or
possibly by having the release images support mounting the cd9660 root
filesystem image from a file in an outer filesystem. This is a
post-14.0 activity either way.