On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 03:49:33AM +0000, Jamie Landeg-Jones wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <dic...@his.com> wrote:
>
> > actually it probably does affect "xterm"
> >
> > Checking the source, tcsh is expecting a termcap string, while data read
> > from the terminfo database is going to be in terminfo format -- even if
> > read via tgetent/tgetstr
> >
> > tcsh is expecting a termcap string, and in its EchoTC function it duplicates
> > the termcap version of what's tparm in a terminfo program.
> >
> > (tcsh could be modified readily to use terminfo for the case you're
> > describing,
> >  but supporting $TERMCAP would be work)
>
> Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply... from the ncurses man himself!
>
> I *thought* I'd seen issues with just "xterm" but after posting the first
> message, it seemed to start working, and so I doubted myself, but I must
> have messed up somewhere!
>
> What threw me about tcsh is it does mention terminfo in the man page and
> the source, so I wrongly assumed the problem wasn't there.
>
> Anyway, I'll raise it with the tcsh maintainers.
>
> To the FreeBSD release folk, I think it's great that we're moving off termcap,
> but is there a chance that base tcsh could be compiled with a private version
> of the terminfo-less ncurses in time for 14.0-RELEASE, if a proper fix to tcsh
> is going to take too long?
>
> Thanks again, Thomas.
>
> Cheers, Jamie

If you don't install (terminfo-db which nothing should pull in by default), then
you are on the default behaviour which is termcap, this has been made like this
on purpose, by default you have the behaviour you have always expected, and if
you want another behaviour and larger support you install terminfo-db.

The fact that tcsh does not play nicely with terminfo, is nother problem.

Best regards,
Bapt