On 18 Nov 2023, at 17:23, Rick Macklem wrote:

> [...]
>
> There is this snippet of code in zfsctl_snapdir_lookup():
> /*
> * Fix up the root vnode mounted on .zfs/snapshot/<snapname>.
> *
> * This is where we lie about our v_vfsp in order to
> * make .zfs/snapshot/<snapname> accessible over NFS
> * without requiring manual mounts of <snapname>.
> */
> ASSERT3P(VTOZ(*vpp)->z_zfsvfs, !=, zfsvfs);
> VTOZ(*vpp)->z_zfsvfs->z_parent = zfsvfs;
>
> /* Clear the root flag (set via VFS_ROOT) as well. */
> (*vpp)->v_vflag &= ~VV_ROOT;
> which seems to set the mp to that of the parent, but it
> seems this does not happen for the initial lookup of
> the <snapname>?
>
> I'll note that there is code before this in
> zfsctl_snapdir_lookup() for handling cases
> like "." and ".." that return without doing this.
>
> Now, why does this work without the mnt_exjail
> check (as in 13.2)?
> I am not quite sure, but there is this "cheat" in the
> NFS server (it has been there for years, maybe decades):
>     /*
>      * Allow a Lookup, Getattr, GetFH, Secinfo on an
>      * non-exported directory if
>      * nfs_rootfhset. Do I need to allow any other Ops?
>      * (You can only have a non-exported vpnes if
>      *  nfs_rootfhset is true. See nfsd_fhtovp())
>      * Allow AUTH_SYS to be used for file systems
>      * exported GSS only for certain Ops, to allow
>      * clients to do mounts more easily.
>      */
>     if (nfsv4_opflag[op].needscfh && vp) {
> if (!NFSVNO_EXPORTED(&vpnes) &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_LOOKUP &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_GETATTR &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_GETFH &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_ACCESS &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_READLINK &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_SECINFO &&
>     op != NFSV4OP_SECINFONONAME)
> nd->nd_repstat = NFSERR_NOFILEHANDLE;
> This allows certain operations to be done on
> non-exported file systems and I think that is enough
> to allow this to work when mnt_exjail is not checked.
> (Note that NFSV4OP_LOOKUPP is not in the list,
>  which might explain why it is the one that fails for
>  Garrett. I don't think it can be added to this list
>  safely, since that would allow a client to move above
>  the exported file system into "uncharted territory".)
>
>>  Just curious.  Also, what is mnt_exjail
>> normally set to for file systems not in a jail?
> mnt_exjail is set to the credentials of the thread/process
> that exported the file system (usually mountd(8)).
> When not in a jail, cr_prison for these credentials
> points to prison0.
>
> Btw, I checked and the "other mp that has mnt_exjail == NULL
> is in the mountlist, so the idea of checking "not in mountlist"
> is a dead end.
>
> I am looking for something "unique" about this other mp,
> but haven't found anything yet.
> Alternately, it might be necessary to add code to
> zfsctl_snapdir_lookup() to "cheat and change the mp"
> in more cases, such as "." and ".." lookups?

It seems to me that if ZFS is creating an additional mount structure,
it should be responsible for setting it up correctly.  That could
involve a vfs-level routine to do some of the cloning.  In any case,
it seems to me that mnt_exjail should be set properly, e.g. by duping
the one in the original mount structure.  Probably ZFS is the only
file system type that would need this added.

                Mike