In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
>Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> On 3 Aug 2000, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>> > Since ps(1) no longer allows users to view other users' processes'
>> > environment, I don't think it's a very big issue anymore.
>> This behavious is configurable - we shouldn't start relying on it at the
>> application level.
>
>I'm not relying on it - fetch(1) has always had the ability to specify
>passwords in environment variables. I'm just saying it's less of a
>problem than it was before.
>
>On a related note, I just suddenly remembered about .netrc. Libfetch
>ought to be able to read FTP logins and passwords from the user's
>.netrc. I also wonder if it might be meaningful to use .netrc for HTTP
>servers as well...

What happened to the FTP_PASSIVE_MODE environment variable ?  As
far as I can tell it is no longer supported and as a result sysinstall
is broken.  It uses Active FTP even if you select Passive FTP on
the menu :-(

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe