On 23 Dec 2023, at 15:23, Craig Leres wrote:

> On 12/23/23 06:52, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>> This is strange change at best.  I have no opinion about the disabling
>> of compression of the rotated logs by default, but we already have knobs
>> to do that.  Adding a knob that disables (or enables) other knobs to work
>> is weird.
>
> I totally agree. This moves the compression knob from the config file to the
> command line. And what if the user wants some but not all files to be
> compressed? Or wants to use different compression with different log files?

Another possibility would be to introduce some simple form of variables in
newsyslog.conf, replacing J by a variable reference, with the variable
being set near the beginning.  E.g.

        V=zstd (or just V= for none?)
        ... $V
        ... $V

Then there would be one global change, and much easier changing of the
default.

It would also be possible to add <include> /etc/newsyslog.local.conf at the
beginning, and set variables there, making changes to the default file less
painful in the future.

>> If you want to change the compression, update the default configuration file.
>
> I also think this is the best approach.
>
> Given the current freebsd-update workflow, users will get to deal with
> changes to the default newsyslog.conf via mergemaster.
>
> And having converted a number of systems from newsyslog compression to zfs
> compression, just changing the config file is not the only change needed,
> users will still need to compress/uncompress existing log files.

Good point.  Although newsyslog could be smart enough to recognize alternate
suffixes (or none), and rotate the files anyway.  Short of that, this suggests
that a new default config file should specify bzip2, but it would be easy to
localize.

                Mike