On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 10:30 AM Xin LI <delp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 7:19 AM Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 8, 2024, 7:55 AM Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We have FIDO/U2F support for SSH in base.
>>>
>>> We also have a group "u2f", 116, in the default /etc/group file.
>>>
>>> Why do we keep the devd configuration (to chgrp the device nodes)
>>> in a port, security/u2f-devd?  Can't we just add this to base, too?
>>> It's just another devd configuration file.
>>>

>> This properly belongs to devfs.conf no? Otherwise it's a race...
>>

> That's a good point.  But I think in practice the race (if I'm
> understanding correctly, there would be a window where the device node
> showed up, but with the standard permissions until devd kicks in and runs
> "action" steps to change it) would probably not matter because the
> consumers (Chromium?) would be polling for the device and when opening
> failed, they would retry, as the security key is not guaranteed to be
> present when a website asks for it, and it's perfectly natural for the
> browser to see the security key getting attached and detached while it is
> running.

I just don't like this depending on devd not dropping the arrival bit (due
to too much congestion of events) and having a resulting broken system.
It's half-assed today, but it's half-assed enough that it works enough of
the time the issue hasn't been pressing (which is my way of agreeing with
you: its imperfect, but it works almost all the time today). Working well
enough suggests we shouldn't 'gate' this change to a perfect solution....
Especially since we're a bit short handed in the usb world after Hans'
tragic passing.

> I would say it's a good idea to have something there in place to support
> these security keys (possibly also cameras, etc.), especially considering
> the base OpenSSH now supports U2F devices.  It's probably a good idea to
> have adduser / installer to have a defined "interactive local user" groups
> (u2f, video, etc. come to mind) that users are added into by default to
> provide a reasonable out-of-box default too.

Totally agree here.

Warner