Am 2024-01-25 18:49, schrieb Rodney W. Grimes:
On Thu, Jan 25, 2024, 9:11?AM Ed Maste <ema...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 at 11:00, Rodney W. Grimes
> <freebsd-...@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
> >
> > > These will need to be addressed before actually removing any of these
> > > binaries, of course.
> >
> > You seem to have missed /rescue.  Now think about that long
> > and hard, these tools classified as so important that they
> > are part of /rescue.  Again I can not stress enough how often
> > I turn to these tools in a repair mode situation.
>
> I haven't missed rescue, it is included in the work in progress I
> mentioned. Note that rescue has included gpart since 2007.

What can fdisk and/or disklabel repair that gpart can't?

As far as I know there is no way in gpart to get to the
MBR cyl/hd/sec values, you can only get to the LBA start
and end values:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 8388513 (4095 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 15/ sector 63

gpart show ada0
=>     63  8388545  ada0  MBR  (4.0G)
       63  8388513     1  freebsd  [active]  (4.0G)
  8388576       32        - free -  (16K)

What are you using cyl/hd/sec values for on a system which runs FreeBSD current or on which you would have to use FreeBSD-current in case of a repair need? What is the disk hardware on those systems that you still need cyl/hd/sec and LBA doesn't work? Serious questions out of curiosity.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF