On Feb 14, 2024, at 08:08, John Baldwin <j...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2/12/24 5:57 PM, Mark Millard wrote:

> Ok, then this explains the failure if the "raw" addresses are above 4G.  I
> have
> access to an emag I'm currently using to test fixes to pci_host_generic.c to
> avoid corrupting struct resource objects.  I'll post the diff once I've got
> something verified to work.
>
>> It looks to me like in sys/dev/pci/pci_pci.c the:
>> static void
>> pcib_probe_windows(struct pcib_softc *sc)
>> {
>> . . .
>>         pcib_alloc_window(sc, &sc->mem, SYS_RES_MEMORY, 0, 0xffffffff);
>> . . .
>> is just inappropriately restrictive about where in the system
>> address space a PCIe can validly be mapped to on the high end.
>> That, in turn, leads to the rejection on the RPi4B now that
>> the range use is checked.
>
> No, the physical register in PCI-PCI bridges is only 32-bits.  Only the
> prefetchable BAR supports 64-bit addresses.

Just for my edification . . .

As I understand, SYS_RES_MEMORY for the BCM2711
means the 35 bit addressing space in the BCM2711,
not a PCIe device internal address range that
corresponds. Am I wrong about that?

If I'm wrong, what does identify the 35 bit
addressing space in the BCM2711?

If I'm correct, then the 0..0xffffffff
seems to be from the wrong address space up
front. Or, may be, the SYS_RES_MEMORY and the
0xffffffff argments are not related as I
expected and the 0xffffffff is not a
SYS_RES_MEMORY value?

> This is why the host bridge
> is doing a translation from the CPU side (0x600000000) to the PCI BAR
> addresses (0xc0000000) so that the BAR addresses are down in the 32-bit
> address range.  It's also true that many PCI devices only support 32-bit
> addresses in memory BARs.  64-bit BARs are an optional extension not
> universally supported.
>
> The translation here is somewhat akin to a type of MMU where the CPU
> addresses are mapped to PCI addresses.  The problem here is that the
> PCI BAR resources need to "stay" as PCI addresses since we depend on
> being able to use rman_get_start/end to get the PCI addresses of
> allocated resources, but pci_host_generic.c currently rewrites the
> addresses.
>
> Probably I should remove rman_set_start/end entirely (Warner added them
> back in 2004) as the methods don't do anything to deal with the fallout
> that the rman.rm_list linked-list is no longer sorted by address once
> some addresses get rewritten, etc.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com