On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:50 PM Doug Ambrisko <ambri...@ambrisko.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 07:15:48PM +0100, Philipp Ost wrote:
> | On 2/28/24 21:10, Philipp Ost wrote:
> | [boot log stripped]
> | > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed at this point? [..]
> |
> | Short follow-up: disabling uart0 and uart1 at the loader prompt allowed
> us
> | to boot and install FreeBSD (the -CURRENT snapshot from 2024-02-29 in
> case
> | it matters).
>
> UARTS on AMD can be a bit different.  Some BIOS implementations seem
> to set them up to work like legacy ports others do not.  On a Naples
> platform I helped add support for them since they were not setup
> in the legacy configuration.  The AMD servers I'm using now have them
> setup in legacy mode and just work like on other systems.
>
> If I remember right those UARTS were defined in ACPI.  On a laptop they
> probably don't have serial ports and the probe is getting stuck on
> something.  It might be good to instrument it to see what.

It might also be time to finally drop the UART fallback when ACPI is
present.
I've seen spotty reports of accessing these registers (for uart, kbd and
maybe
mouse) causing problems. The ACPI definition of the UARTs would be
additional
uart units. The fallback stuff is needed only for extremely edge cases at
this point.

Warner