Are you sure that the system isn't actually booting or are you saying
that because you get no console output after going to userland?  It's
possible that /etc/ttys is not in sync with your console configuration
in loader.conf.  If that happened, nothing from /etc/rc would print to
console during boot and you wouldn't get a login prompt, but
networking and the like would still work.  If you need the console to
access it (e.g. no sshd is configured) you can try booting into
single-user and look at /etc/ttys from there.  If you can't actually
reach single-user mode then the problem is something else.