Using current cvsup'd the morning of 8/29, I discovered that rpc.statd
doesn't fork on boot up. I don't know if it's in the rpc.statd code, or
in the new version of I installed with mergemaster.

I've worked around this by adding an ampersand to the boot command in

Is this just something with my system? A new make world with the same
sources didn't solve the problem.

Bob Martin
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
                -- Albert Einstein