I am going to nuke the PAM support for rshd and rlogind in -current
tomorrow (local time) if I won't get any objections till that date.

--
Ruslan Ermilov          Oracle Developer/DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:28:57PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:19:37AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > > In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> > > : I've just committed a fix to rlogind(8) to make it compile without -DNO_PAM.
> > > : Now, (in both -current and -stable), to enable rlogind(8) and sshd(8) user
> > > : will have to enable them in both /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/pam.conf.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that I like changes like this being merged into -stable
> > > so quickly.  This change I'm having problems understanding, so I'll
> > > need some time to go look at them and see what I think.
> > >
> > You are (being the Security Officer) don't like the change which
> > doubly-disables r-foo tools?!  I can't believe that :-)
>
> The change aspects that are worrying are:
>
> 1) Substantial structural change to the authentication path by moving to
>    PAM for r*, and in the -STABLE branch no less.  This is a comment based
>    on the clarity of the commit message, so I'm not willing to commit
>    to more criticism than this, as I haven't read the patches, just the
>    commit message.  If the code being run is still the same, clearly it
>    doesn't make much difference.
>
> 2) Additional (and in my mind, unnecessary) authorization point for r*
>    enabling in /etc/pam.conf.  Is there a reason why it isn't enough to
>    just have the traditional service toggle in inetd.conf?  We have
>    entries in pam.conf so that numerous default-disabled features are
>    enableable without modifying pam.conf, include xdm which isn't even
>    in the base source tree.  Increasing configuration complexity can
>    dramatically increase the risk associated with possible
>    misconfigurations as well as operator frustration, rather than improve
>    practical security.

Actually, I also think that both rlogind(8) and rshd(8) should be PAM-free.
The reasons are:

1) rlogind(8) calls login(1) (with -f if user passed .rhosts authentication),
   which itself is a PAM-enabled application.  Moreover, the current PAM code
   in rlogind(8) is broken, if you try something interactive, say pam_unix.so
   in /etc/pam.conf for `rshd' entry.

2) rshd(8) is not suitable for interactive PAM modules, since it does not
   allocate a pty(4).

Hence, I am asking Mark for approval to remove the PAM bits from rshd,
rlogind, and pam.conf.

Cheers,