I'm not knocking anyone or any code, especially considering this IS
-current... BUT... I don't need to read the code to know that I am seeing
the same fortunes on first login after reboot more often than I can
attribute to random chance. Maybe nanotime is being harvested, but it
seems that there is a time lag between system startup and reaching a state
of "true pseudo-entropy". Also, every reboot has entropy caching failing
to work. I don't know if this is a product of the broken reseeding or
what, because the /etc/rc files seem to be fine.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Mark Murray wrote:

> > 2) Reseeding state may not preserve across the boot due to various reasons
> > like panic, etc. Since _time_ is ignored, all other data /etc/rc tries to
> > collect now can be non-random _easily_!
> >
> > Unless _time_ will be used, /dev/random is plain unusable for production
> > usage.
>
> Andrey, read the code; nanotime is all over the harvested entropy.

> --
> Mark Murray
> Join the anti-SPAM movement: http://www.cauce.org

                                           _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
          Wesley N Morgan                       _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]              _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
          FreeBSD: The Power To Serve                  _ |___/___/___/
          6bone: 3ffe:1ce3:7::b4ff:fe53:c297

  • ... Андрей Чернов
  • ... Андрей Чернов
    • ... Андрей Чернов