On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 09:30:48AM +0000, Konstantin Chuguev wrote:

> If xinetd has a startup script, why don't you just set inetd_enable="NO" and let
> the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xinetd.sh start normally? You need to edit no /etc/rc.*
> files (except for rc.conf.local, obviously).

The original idea was to allow other programs to be used instead of the
default inetd, by tweaking /etc/rc.conf appropriately.  For instance,
one could say:

        inetd_enable="YES"
        inetd_program="/usr/local/sbin/xinetd"
        inetd_flags="-reuse"

and change his internet-superserver program to something else.

I am not sure if this is something that a lot of people would consider
a desired feature, but I was trying to see if it can be done (see the
request that started this thread).

- giorgos