The new PnP code just plain does not work for my PnP AWE64.

If I configure like this:

controller      pnp0
controller      snd0
device          sb0
device          sbxvi0
device          sbmidi0
device          awe0
device          opl0
device          joy0

Which is the way it *should* work, in my understanding, it simply
fails like this:

unknown0: <Audio> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
unknown1: <Game> at port 0x200-0x207 on isa0
unknown2: <WaveTable> at port 0x620-0x623 on isa0

If I configure it the old way:

controller      pnp0
controller      snd0
device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device          awe0    at isa? port 0x620
device          opl0    at isa? port 0x388
device          joy0    at isa? port 0x200

I get the same failures as above from the PnP code, but the card still
works (mostly) because it has already been configured by the PnP BIOS.
The SB16-compatible portion of the card works OK even if I take PnP
support out of the kernel completely, and always has.

Unfortunately, the AWE device *needs* a little more initialization than
it gets from the BIOS to probe correctly.  With the old PnP code, I used
a userconfig-script, like this:

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x200
pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

The first 2 lines have always been unnecessary, but harmless; however, the
3rd line is _absolutely necessary_ to get the AWE to probe.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to duplicate this functionality
with the new PnP code.

Is the new PnP code really so smart that it has no use for user intervention
ever?  My experience indicates that it is not.

It would be very nice if the architects of the new PnP code would add back
this lost functionality.