Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible, it
> seems to me that
>     http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> is missing some information that it used to have.  There is no
> section on mergemaster, for instance, even though there IS a
> link to that section, and that link thinks the section is on
> the same web page.
>
> I get a vague feeling that something else on the page isn't
> right, but I can't think of what that might be.  Probably
> the section on building kernels, because it does not actually
> mention the 'buildkernel' or 'installkernel' targets.

I thought the following instructions were quite explicit and they were

18.4.1. Read /usr/src/UPDATING

Before you do anything else, read /usr/src/UPDATING (or the equivalent
file wherever you have a copy of  the source code). This file should
contain important information about problems you might encounter, or
specify the order in which you might have to run certain commands. If
UPDATING contradicts something you read here, UPDATING takes
precedence.

     Important: Reading UPDATING is not an acceptable substitute for
subscribing to the correct mailing list, as described previously. The
two requirements are complementary, not exclusive.

Around line 190, it talks about doing build[install]kernel's if you
are going to update to something like 4-stable.

Kent