"Bruce A. Mah" wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > So, from a pure
> > ELF layout point of view, both shared objects and executables are the
> > same. But a shared library is not guaranteed to be executable. Allowing
> > shared objects to be executed is in violation with the specs:
> This may be a really stupid question, but what on Earth do they gain by
> allowing the execution of shared object files?

The only gain I see, if you can call it a gain, is that you can get
non-trivial information out of a shared object from within scripts, but
I don't know if this has been the reason. If you don't allow execution
of shared objects, you have to use dlopen(3) and call some functions or
query some variables.

Marcel Moolenaar
  tel:  (408) 447-4222