On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:36:44PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> what exacly do you mean with critical path, here?

Performance critical.
Most RISC platforms are optimized for 32 and maybe 64 bit structures.
E.g. First generation alphas (without BWX) can't even access anything
smaller than 32bit in memory without doing big magic.
So one byte can become a big impact on performance.

> > >    Actually, we found that a single byte per page was sufficient. Pages tended
> > > to be either heavily accessed or rarely accessed. Even in the unusual case
> > > where all pages are frequently accessed, the page reclaim rate (and thus
> > > adjustment rate of the page references count) increases high enough to still
> > > provide for a decent distribution of the counters and for the page LOU to be
> > > effective.
> >
> > One byte sounds good for i386.
> > Maybe it makes sense to have it 4 or 8 byte on risc platforms.
> > I wonder if it's a critical path and if there are more of this in
> > the kernel source.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Usergroup           [EMAIL PROTECTED]