In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Edwin Culp writes:
: I had that, and many other problems, about a week ago and I am not
: sure but i think that I ended up doing an rm -rf /usr/sys/modules/*
: , cvsuped made world and built new kernel with no problem.  I
: remember that I had to erase all the modules directory but I'm not
: comeletely sure that it was this problem.  Sorry, it's old age.

Likely it is stale .depend files in the src/sys/modules hierarchy.
That's why killing it worked.

Warner