Warning: The following is a somewhat vague report, given as a fyi.  I
don't need a resolution on this problem, but wanted to report it.

NFS server: Sony VAIO PCG-505TS
uname -a:
        FreeBSD anvil.village.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #569: Sat
        Mar 10 13:17:30 MST 2001
(really Mar 3 current)

NFS client: PPro-200
uname -a
        FreeBSD billy-club.village.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #59:
        Sat Feb 24 14:49:35 MST 2001

The Sony VAIO has a ep0 (3C589E).  It has 1 2.5" IDE drive.
The PPro has dc0: <82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> on pci0.  It has a scsi
drive and an IDE drive.

I'm seeing about 100kbps on nfs read performance.  When I try to copy
about 300MB of mp3s like so
        mount laptop:/mp3 /mnt
        cd /mnt/path/to/files
        tar cf - . | (cd /mp3 ; tar xvf -)

After about 10 minutes of really bad network performance, the network
dies.  All network traffic on the server gives errors with no buffers
available.  netstat -m shows that there are plenty of mbufs available
(10% are used).  I had to reboot to get the network back.  The client
survived just fine.

I have no clue if I can reproduce this, but thought I'd let people
know there might be dragons here.

Warner