> Brian Somers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I thought only sysv kept non-startup executables in /etc.
>
> There's one real oddity in FreeBSD:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc
> :; ll rmt
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     wheel          13 Jan 28 13:42 rmt -> /usr/sbin/rmt*

I think that's there for compatibility... programs that want to talk
to remote tapes execute ``rsh /etc/rmt ...'' (or is ssh the default
these days?).

> Plus the rc scripts, dhclient-exit-hooks, pccard_ether, and netstart.

I guess you could argue that these are more like executable
system configuration files, along with others like
/etc/start_if.iface.

--
Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>