<<On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 14:41:29 -0700 (PDT), John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> As a safety check we should probably zero the pid right before zfree()'ing a
> proc in wait() however, so that a stale pointer to a free'd process doesn't
> have a valid pid if we do this.

Should not be necessary.  Here is the logic:

        p = sip->si_p;
        mtx_lock_spin(&sched_lock);
        if (p->p_stat != SZOMB || p->p_pid != sip->si_pid) {
                /* oops */
                mtx_lock_spin(&sched_lock);
                return;
        }

        sip->si_pid = 0;
        sip->si_p = 0;
        if (p->p_wchan == (caddr_t)&selwait) {
                /* ... */

If `p' is a pointer to a freed process, then p->p_stat is guaranteed
to be SZOMB -- the only code path which can free a process struct is
wrapped inside `if (p->p_stat == SZOMB)'.  (See kern_exit.c:exit1().)
If `p' is a pointer to an active process, and it's the wrong pid, then
we don't wake it up.  Otherwise, we wake it up.  (`p' might still be
the wrong process, if pid space wrapped around, but the current code
doesn't deal with that condition, either, nor should it.)

-GAWollman