You are one brave soul if the only precedent you have for this
patch is GNU cp.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it.

With respect to how you short circuit the copy if
the mtimes are 'ok', you probably need to return a value
different than 1 so that your caller can distinquish between
a failed copy (badcp = rval = 1) and a skipped copy.

Thus, the return code from 'cp' will be correct. With your
patch, if the -u option skips a file, the return code from
cp is 1.

Just my .02 cents,
-John

----- Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai's Original Message -----