[Replies to both responders to date:  2 replies for the cost of a single
message.  :-}  dhw]

>Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 23:40:52 -0700
>From: Alfred Perlstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> So basically, I'm confused.  ssh appears to work ok for password
>> authentication, but not for public key authentication -- or at least, it
>> doesn't appear to be (completely?) compatible with ssh 2.3.0.  Or maybe
>> I'm overlooking something...?

>Brian Feldman switched the default to ssh2, for some reason it doesn't
>back off and try version 1.  you need to do this "ssh -1 <host>" which
>is damn irritating, but I don't know of any other option.

The "-1" flag does not appear to be valid for ssh 2.9; attempting its
use generates a usage message.

>Would it be possible to try version 1 before password?

I'll give that a try later today.  (I'm building today's -STABLE at the
moment; I s'pose I could chroot to the -CURRENT root & try it out that
way, but trying to explain the situation if it doesn't work sounds even
messier than what I've done so far....)

>Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 09:44:41 +0200
>From: Szilveszter Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I am working on reproducing this, so I would like to ask for
>clarification... Unless I am mistaken, you have 3.2-RELEASE on the machine
>that you are connecting to with ssh2 port installed. Right?

In this particular case, yes.  And I had installed the ssh-2.0.12 port
on it (soome time back).  But I have observed similar behavior when the
ssh server is any of several different machines -- running FreeBSD
4.2-STABLE or (SPARC) Solaris 2.6 or 8, for example.

>And you are trying to use RSA Auth using ssh1 on purpose although both
>sides could use ssh2 in theory.

Not particularly.

I'm trying to use public key authentication, vs. password authentication.

Whether it's "RSA" or "DSA" isn't something I care about (except to get
it working); mostly, I want the same functionality, and I'd prefer to at
least know what steps I need to take, so that if & when OpenSSH 2.9 is
MFCed, folks who are similarly-situated will be able to get a "heads up"
on changes they may need to make to preserve equivalent function.

>And you are seeing that -CURRENT's ssh does not fall back to RSA
>key auth when it cannot use DSA. But you have already used ssh2 to this
>host before. (Because it is contained in the known_hosts2 file).
>Maybe this confuses ssh.

Well, I've certainly used ssh 2.3.0 (under FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE, for
example) to get to it.

>In my setup, I have only one server that can do SSH2 (mine, the -CURRENT
>box) all others are unable, because they use either older versions of
>OpenSSH or the ssh1 from SSH Communications. But I have absolutely no
>problem in connecting between them with RSA keys... although I have just
>tried (almost) all combinations.:-) Even the -CURRENT server does well,
>although ssh2 is the first option tried in the server config because some
>windoze clients can do ssh2 already so why not use it? But admittedly I
>have not tried RSA auth between two ssh2 capable hosts... will need the
>help of a collegaue with it. (who will kindly reboot the machine on the
>other end into FreeBSD-STABLE:-) Note that I do not have a known_hosts2 or
>an authorized_keys2 file anywhere.

Hmmm.... I just checked:  I don't (happen to) have the laptop set up so
that I can use public key authentication to use ssh to itself.  (I
checked this under -STABLE; OpenSSH 2.3.0.)  After I boot -CURRRENT, I
may play around with this a bit....

Thanks,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to