If memory serves me right, "Andrey A. Chernov" wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 11:42:27 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Immediate MFC is against our policy, isn't?=3D20
> >=20
> > So is immediate breakage.
>
> Yes, but fixed.

It's still broken.

> It seems that people forget that every big change means
> some period to settle down.

I personally haven't forgotten that.

But it seems that people forget that big changes require some advance
notice (and testing), to reduce the amount of settling down that is
required.  As I mentioned in my last message, I would have gladly
explained the potential problem to you, if you'd posted a heads-up
message with a little advance notice.

> > RELNOTESng is broken for RELENG_4.  I would have warned you about the=20
> > possibility of this, if you'd bothered to ask first.
>
> How exactly it is broken? I didn't touch a bit of RELNOTES on -stable.

RELNOTESng depends on part of the doc/ tree.  Note that doc/ is not
branched, but src/release/doc/ is.  When you moved parts of
the doc/ tree around in -CURRENT, you caused doc/ on -CURRENT to become
inconsistent with src/ on 4-STABLE.  This broke RELNOTESng on 4-STABLE.

What I am saying is that it appears to me that src/release/doc/ on
RELENG_4 needs to be changed to reflect the new naming scheme.  It is
broken now, and will not build, because of inconsistencies in naming
language codes between src/ in 4-STABLE and doc/ in -CURRENT.

> 3) I have no opinion is it must be done in -stable too or not. Personally
> I not plan to touch those bits in -stable in any case, so they remain as
> is and can't be broken as you say unless I miss some technical details you
> not explain.

It's broken.  You missed some details.  I've tried to explain it as best
I can in email.

As you can see by the attached output, there is a definite breakage
here.  Please *don't* try to fix it.  Please let *me* figure out a fix
and do some testing, as well as coordination with nik and the
repo-meisters.  Thank you.

Bruce.

-----

intruder:doc% make DOC_PREFIX=/usr/doc
===> en_US.ISO_8859-1
===> en_US.ISO_8859-1/relnotes
===> en_US.ISO_8859-1/relnotes/alpha
/usr/local/bin/openjade -ioutput.html -ioutput.html.images -V nochunks -V openja
de -c /usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/share/sgml/catalog -c /usr/doc/share/sgml/catalo
g -c /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/catalog -c /usr/local/share/sgm
l/docbook/catalog -c /usr/local/share/sgml/openjade/catalog -c /usr/users/bmah/F
reeBSD/RELENG_4/release/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/relnotes/alpha/../../../share/sgml/
catalog -d /usr/users/bmah/FreeBSD/RELENG_4/release/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/relnote
s/alpha/../../../en_US.ISO_8859-1/share/sgml/release.dsl -t sgml /usr/users/bmah
/FreeBSD/RELENG_4/release/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/relnotes/alpha/article.sgml > art
icle.html || (rm -f article.html && false)
/usr/local/bin/openjade:E: cannot open "/usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/share/sgml/cat
alog" (No such file or directory)

[ad nauseum]

PGP signature