<<On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:40:23 +1000 (EST), Bruce Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> NetBSD committed essentially this patch 4 years ago (as part of rev.1.23).
> I like it, except it seems to be incompatible with POSIX.1-200x.

I think I agree with your interpretation.  Quoting from XBDd7, page
101, lines 3153ff:

# In all other cases, the system shall prefix the remaining pathname,
# if any, with the contents of the symbolic link. [...]  [T]he
# resolved pathname shall be the resolution of the pathname just
# created.  If the resulting pathname does not begin with a slash, the
# predecessor of the first filename of the pathname is taken to be the
# directory containing the symbolic link.

So, if we have a symbolic link ``foo'' with contents ``'' (i.e., the
empty string):

        Pathname        Resolves to
        ./foo           ./foo (i.e., the link itself), iff condition 3
                        on lines 3151-2 is met; otherwise [ENOENT]
        ./foo/          /
        ./foo/bar       /bar

-GAWollman