On Saturday, 16 June 2001 at 15:22:39 -0600, Chad David wrote:
> I get the following panic on a GENERIC kernel from around May 23:
>
> (copied by hand)
>
> /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_synch.c:385: sleeping with "vm" locked from
>/usr/src/sys/vm/vm_pager.c:428
> panic: sleeping process owns a mutext
> Debugger("panic")
> Stopped at  Debugger+0x44: pushl %ebx
> db> trace
> Debugger()
> panic()
> propagate_priority()
> _mtx_lock_sleep()
> obreak()
> syscall()
> syscall_with_err_pushd()
>
> this looks a lot like...
>
> my system cvsupped around May 25 reliably causes a panic when I
>
> $ cp /cdrom/distfiles/somefiles /tmp
>
> I've written down the message from the debugger:
>
> /usr/src/sys/kern_synch.c:385: sleeping with "vm" locked
> from /usr/src/sys/vm/vm_pager.c: 428
> panic: sleeping process owns a mutex
> Debugger("panic")
>> trace
> Debugger(...)
> panic()
> propagate_priority()
> _mtx_lock_sleep()
> ffs_write()
> vn_write()
> writev()
> syscall()
> syscall_with_err_pushed()
>
> .... from the current archives.
>
> What can I do get this thing through a make world?

Sorry, I don't understand that.

> Would a recent kernel over the existing userland have any hope
> between then and now?

Maybe.

If you're using -CURRENT, you should expect this kind of problem.  And
we expect that you try to solve it yourself.  There are very few
people who are interested in problems you might have with a month old
-CURRENT.

The first thing you should do is update to real -CURRENT sources.  Try
again.  If it still happens, climb into the dump and have a good look
round.

Greg