In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Harnois writes:

>The only result it generated was
>
>/usr/home/mdharnois off 120 ino 0 reclen 0x188 type 010 namelen 14 name '.fetc
>hmail.pid' [368]
>
>and that file is destroted and recreated every couple of minutes.

It's the directory (/usr/home/mdharnois), not the file that is the
problem. If you recreate the directory:

        cd /usr/home
        mv mdharnois mdharnois.old
        mkdir mdharnois
        chown mdharnois:mdharnois mdharnois     # (or whatever)
        mv mdharnois.old/* mdharnois/
        mv mdharnois.old/.[a-zA-Z0-9]* mdharnois/
        rmdir mdharnois.old

this problem should go away permanently. Even just creating loads of
files in the existing directory might be enough to reuse the bit of
the directory that has d_ino == 0. Running

        ./dircheck.pl /usr/home/mdharnois

will check if there is still a problem.

However, I'd like to know if this is something that fsck should
detect and correct automatically. It is an odd case, because the
ffs filesystem code never creates directory entries like this, but
I think it will not object to them if it finds them. This kind of
ambiguity is probably a bad thing.

Ian