On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> You could also try building a kernel with CLK_CALIBRATION_LOOP defined
> and then booting with -v (without the timer disabled).  This might be
> instructive (I don't know for certain that it'll calibrate the ACPI
> timer, since it may not have been probed yet).

It won't.  CLK_CALIBRATION_LOOP only iterates calibration of the i8254
and TSC timers relative to the RTC.  None of the clock calibration stuff
is very useful.  All the clock frequencies depend on the temperature,
so their values at boot time are only slightly more related to their
values at run time than their values at a random time.  Average values
are probably better than boot time values.

Bruce