On 31-Jul-01 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> [Aside: problems getting crashdumps resolved, see message with         ]
> [Message-ID <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent to -current]
> [with subject "Re: -current lockups".                                  ]
>
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:00:53 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
>> I got a little help from some folks on IRC who helped me with a
>> disassembly that confirms a null pointer dereference in the
>> STAILQ_REMOVE().
>
> Hi John,
>
> So now that I have crashdumps working (thanks!), I've got a populated
> ktr_buf in my crashdump.
>
> Sadly, I don't understand much of what's in it.  Is there a magic "look
> for this" to find where 90rql (the smbfs request lock) got accidentally
> removed from all_locks, or does this require intelligence?
>
> If so, do I send you the output of Greg Lehy's "ktr" GDB macro?  What's
> standard procedure with these things?

If it works. :)  It may need updating to work right.  Basically the KTR buffer
is kind of like a printf buffer.  Various points in the code stuff messages
into it when an event happens (such as getting a lock, releasing a lock, etc.)
There should be an event right at the end about the lock in question being
destroyed for example (if you had KTR_LOCK turned on).  You might then look in
the logs to see where else the same lock was messed with.

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/