On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:30:15PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:23:00PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > Your solution does not work. You're creating binary files in HOST
> > > format during the build phase and expecting things such as alignment
> > > and endianness to be the same as the TARGET format. Unless the tools
> > > are built to output for either the appropriate architecture or in a
> > > portable, binary format, you will have problems reading the file on
> > > the TARGET platform. It probably works for you since you're doing a
> > > 4.X->5.0 upgrade on the same platform.
> > >
> > What?  ``file -C'' produces different output on Alpha and on i386?
> > Are you sure?  (Haven't checked myself.)
>
> They produce the same output, but in the general case they do not need
> to.

What I hear?  Hell, then my solution (or something similar) should be
committed, as it at least unbreaks the 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade path, which
I am mostly concerned about (on the same arch).

(Currently, it is broken because ./file depends on libc.so.5 while in
-STABLE it is still libc.so.4.)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Oracle Developer/DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age