On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 10:29:40PM +0800, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> I am running -CURRENT as of 2001/01/31 12:00, more or less uneventfully
> for the last six months on a Dell 5000e.
>
> The one problem is that X occasionally dies without coredump or cleanup with
> the error 'X in free(): error: recursive call.'.  This usually (but not
> always) happens while using Mozilla with heavy window creation/deletion and
> heavy (dialup) network activity.  This has happened under several recent
> versions of Mozilla, two different versions of fvwm2, with and without
> session managers, and with both X 4.0.3 and 4.1.0.

*ding*
So I'm not alone on this.
I experienced this a while back running XF86 HEAD from cvs.
The developers tracked it down to a signal handler calling malloc/free
through the 3-button emulation code.

You could be experiencing something completely different, but they
fixed my particular version of this problem in cvs a couple months ago
(I believe).

When experiencing the "crash", I would be heavily "clicking",
opening/moving/hiding/showing windows.

> It took me a while to identify the problem, because it happens infrequently,
> unpredicably, and leaves the video drivers in an unusable state (forcing a
> blind reboot).  I tried linking /etc/malloc.conf to 'A' to get a coredump
> from X, but that doesn't work.  I found a very short discussion of a related
> problem in the -CURRENT mail archives from the beginning of January, but
> there wasn't any apparent resolution of the problem.

This was discussed on the XFree86 lists, which you probably weren't
reading, being using a release.

> I'd like to get advice on which of the following courses of action to take:
>
>   1. Isolate and fix the problem.  I would need some help here.

You /could/ fire up a copy of gdb on the server binary, but I believe
there are some messes with the modules XFree86 uses. (Don't take my
word for this, I know largely nothing about debugging X.)

>   2. Downgrade to -STABLE.  The reason I was running -CURRENT originally was
>      for ACPI support, but Dell has since released an APM-enabled BIOS for
>      the 5000e, so -CURRENT is no longer a requirement.

This seems very much *not* a FreeBSD problem.

>   3. Upgrade to current -CURRENT.  I don't know if this is such a good idea
>      judging from mailing list traffic.

Same as above, NAFP.

>   4. Hang in with the status quo for another couple months until 5.0 is
>      released, install that, and start back at #1 if that doesn't work.

Yet again, NAFP.

> Any advice, comments, or suggestions warmly appreciated.

Can you run a CVS version of XFree86? I believe this was repaired in one
of the more-recent (most-, possibly) 4.x releases.

> Thanks.
>
>       -Michael Robinson

G'luck, cheers.
Daniel M. Kurry