Peter Wemm wrote:

> > > Right. Kill it.
> >
> > Are there any ports which depnd on it, and thus assume it's
> > in the base system, which will need to be hacked to have a
> > libss port on which they will need to depend?
>
> Well, why not have a look and find out?  If so, supplying a list
> is more productive than making somebody else go and look for you.

It's not as easy as you paint it, since there are a lot
of things that run config scripts and just "magically"
find all sorts of libraries you never knew you had.

It'd be a heck of a lot easier, if it were possible to
force everything to link shared, which would show in an
ldd of all the binaries in all the packages, but that
would still leave some stuff out.  I don't think there's
an easy way to deal with testing this sort of thing, if
you don't have a full ftp.freebsd.org mirror, with the
ability to build each and every port after deleting the
library and header files locally.

I just asked mostly because I'm not the person diking it
out without having checked first, and I remember the last
time something like this went wrong...

-- Terry