> : On that released version, yes.  But, not on subsuquent versions.  I
> : still maintain my rights to do with the code as I please.
>
> Then you are creating a new work, based on the public domain work that
> went before it.

I think we're splitting hairs here.  Ultimately, the exact same behavior
occurs no matter whose interpretation is correct.

Say I (Nate) create a work.  Let's go through the interpretation I've
heard, and see what happens, and then the interpretation others have
said, and see what happens.

Version 0.90 of the software has no copyright whatsoever, and I release
it to a couple of friends.

However, I spoke with a lawyer, and he tells me I'd better stick a
copyright on the front of my software, 'just in case'.  However, the
code is no different from V0.9, so I release version 0.98, which has the
following header on all the source code.
        V0.98 Copyright 2001 Nate, All Rights reserved.

At some point in time, I deem the code worthy of release, and I create
Version 1.0, whose *only* difference from V0.98 is the copyright line
has changed.  This I give to some of the people who helped sponsor my
work, and I want them to do anything they want with it.
     V1.0 FooBletch - This software is placed in the public domain, 8/2001

At the same time, I create Version 1.1, whose *only* difference from
0.98 is the copyright line(s).  This I release on the Net.
     V1.0 FooBletch - Copyright 2001 Nate

     modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
     are met:
     [ yadda, yadda, yadda ]

You get the picture.

As I've been told, this is completely legal.  This means that a person
who receives V0.9 and 0.98 can't do much with my software, as they
essentially are the same thing.  V0.98 is just more explicit about it.

The folks who get V1.0 can do *anything* they want with it (can they
legally claim authorship?), including release it on the net if they
like, and even copyright it.

We all know what rights the folks who get V1.1 have.

At this point, everything is legal, because V1.1 is either a derivation
of V1.0 or V0.98, and as the author I'm free to do whatever I want with
my code, including putting it into the public domain.

So, that's my explanation.  Using Warner's (and others) explanation, the
following is what happens.

V0.9 and V0.98 are the same.

V1.0 is released into the public domain.

I (who have no additional rights) take 1.0, Copyright it, and release it
as V1.1.

Ultimately, the same result as in my interpretation, as far as rights go
to all released copies of the software.

However, as I understand from the lawyers (not that I trust them much),
even the simple fact of modifying the files to change the copyright to
put it into the PD implies a 'derivative work', so therefore I still
have copyright status on the pre-PD version, and can do whatever I like
with it.  All prior unreleased versions are copyrighted, with or without
copyright statements.

Note, I understand that by releasing V1.0 into the public domain, I have
given up *ALL* my rights for the *exact* copy of the software released
into the public domain*.

But, I have not (necessarily) given up all my rights for any prior or
potentially subsequent derivations of said software, simple because I
still have rights on the prior copies and can derive future copies from
the past copies.

*phew*

Does that makes sense?  The only way to lose my rights completely is to
assign them to another entity (such as your employer), which most folks
do when they sign their employment agreement.

I think we're picking nits here, and ultimately it makes no difference
in the end results that are released.

Nate