On 23-Sep-01 Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 07:40:52PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:

>> > Hmm, ok, that one is new and is a problem.  Can you turn on WITNESS_DDB
>> > (it's
>> > available as the debug.witness_ddb sysctl and loader variableas well) and
>> > then
>> > get me a traceback in ddb?
>>
>> I built a GENERIC with WITNESS_DDB. Sofar (of course... :-/ ) no
>> reproduction of the problem. I'm running buildworlds, any other good
>> suggestions to help trigger it are welcome
>
> Bah. I cannot reproduce this on my DS10.
>
> Is there any reason to assume that specifying CPUTYPE ev56 has any
> influence on the lock order reversal? By default world is built with
> ev4, but I have gone to ev56 now. Rumor has it that results in 'less
> buggy' code.

No.  Hmmm.  You didn't have any KTR traces enabled did you?

Hmm, that first one is in sysbeep() (the clk one)  Ah!

        if (!beeping) {
                /* enable counter2 output to speaker */
                if (pitch) outb(IO_PPI, inb(IO_PPI) | 3);
                beeping = period;
                timeout(sysbeepstop, (void *)NULL, period);
        }

This is the problem code.  Hmmm.  The i386 code seems b0rked.  It doesn't have
enough locks!  Eck.  hmm, the pc98 code doesn't even _use_ the mutex but still
depends on disable/enable intr.  Eek.  I'll work at this later on today.

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/