Stephen McKay wrote:

> On Monday, 24th September 2001, "Thyer, Matthew" wrote:
>
> > IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
> > Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the
> > CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are
> > requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

> Secondly, does your employer really think they own email even in the
> recipient's mailbox?  I mean, I've got a copy of your email.  Does that
> mean DSTO will come and take it back one day?  Kick my door in and take
> all my gear?  "Just a precaution, sir!  You might have some of our mail."
>
> Or is it just useless lawyer bluster wasting my precious existence?

Do you think I care ?

> PS I don't use NIS so I have no idea about your FreeBSD problem.  Sorry.

Now that is something I do care about and FreeBSD's possible poor
NIS client performance is making it look very bad in a large UNIX
network such as the one we run here.

Combine that with the fact that FreeBSD has no automounter that is
compatible with the commercial UNIX systems and you'll see that
FreeBSD is missing out in some key markets (being a client in a
larger UNIX network).

[I dont want to hear the arguments of "Use AMD, it's better"
because there are many situations where the client cannot control
what NIS maps the server will provide].

So if anyone has something useful to offer re: investigating of
FreeBSD's NIS client performance, please reply.

Also news along the lines of "I have written an autofsd and need
people to test it" would be good too.

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Science Corporate Information Systems         Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537