On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:27:58AM +0900, Takahashi Yoshihiro wrote:

> > > It uses the boot programs in /boot. So, even if we change boot0 and/or
> > > mbr, the new sysinstall includes old one. And, it breaks cross
> > > building, too.
> > >

> > I'm not sure this is the right way to do it. Aren't we already building
> > sys/boot as part of buildworld?
>
> The boot0 and mbr images are needed for making makedevs.c. And,
> makedes.c is made by depend target. So, we need building boot images
> before running depend target (of course, before all target).

I'd rather we remove the ordering constraint so that we don't have
to introduce a new mini-phase and thus keep the build clean. The
boot code is already being built, just not when it's needed by
sysinstall's depend target.

Idea 1:
Since we know how large the binaries are going to be, is it viable
to backpatch the boot0 and mbr images into the binary and only
reserve the space during compilation? This is probably less portable
than the following:

Idea 2:
We could link boot0.o and mbr.o into sysinstall. Currently both
object files contain a global symbol 'start'. It doesn't look to
me that those symbols should be named start, so we can rename
them to 'boot0_start' and 'mbr_start'. These symbols can then be
used in sysinstall to get to the bits.

Thoughts?

--
 Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          [EMAIL PROTECTED]