Now, the whole problem here seems to be that kernel threads
are not preemptable, which is something that worries me a
bit because in CURRENT we use them for interrupt handlers as
well, and those used to be preemptable (subject to spl masks)
in RELENG_4.

On the other hand, if preemptable threads are implemented
(which one of the messages in this thread suggests might
occur), then things will improve even wrt RELENG_4

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 09:26:51PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:

> Anyway, I think luigi wants the non-process benefits of hacking on the
> old idle loop.  Sorry, the only way to get these seems to be to upgrade
> to RELENG_4.

which, funnily, I have already... This thread came out because in
order to import my polling stuff in the tree (see my yet-unanswered
request to -core), having a CURRENT version seems useful to lower
resistance.

I don't mind having spent the time for doing it, in the process i
certainly learned something on the internals of CURRENT, but this
seems to be about the only useful result of this additional work :)

        cheers
        luigi