On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Bruce Evans wrote:

BE>On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Harti Brandt wrote:
BE>
BE>> since version 1.41 of newfs.c newfs fails to build 2MByte md-based
BE>> file systems. We use these file systems in our diskless pc's.

[patch snipped]

Thanks, the patch worked. However:

BE>The problem addressed by the patch is that the default geometry of 1
BE>track with 4096 sectors is extremly bogus for devices that don't even
BE>have 4096 sectors altogether.  Users should override the default
BE>geometry for these devices, but most users don't (the release Makefiles
BE>set bad examples...), and newfs emits alarming warnings.  The changes

Well, if one really careful reads the newfs manpage he will find these
defaults (but not their implications). A hint in the EXAMPLES section of
the page would really be useful. Something along the lines of:

"To format a file system with lesser than (default sectors/track *
default tracks/cylinder) = 4096 sectors use the -u switch the specify the
number of sectors:

        newfs -u 2048 /dev/md0c

for a 1MByte memory disk."

would be really useful.