On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 05:59:27PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Timothy Aslat wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Quick question.   Where would I find information on downgrading a
> > -CURRENT to a -STABLE or -RELEASE?
> >
> > I'm just trying to avoid doing a reinstall and re-setup from scratch.
>
> THis belongs on -questions.
>
> In general, you can boot from a CDROM of the version you
> want to downgrade to, choose "upgrade" from the sysinstall
> menu, and then proceed to "upgrade".
>
> It will not install your sources for you (you will have to
> do that manually).
>
> You may also have a number of issues with configuration file
> data, though it should leave libraries and other things intact.
>
> The only other things that should be able to go wrong are any
> libraries in developement that have not had their version numbers
> bumped for interface changes, and the boot blocks, which you
> can deal with by manually reinstalling via the "holographic
> shell" via a manual run of "disklabel -B" using the installed
> files by specifying the path to them, prior to the reboot.
>
> FWIW, I have, in practice, "upgraded" a large number of -current
> machines from an October 2000 snapshot to a 4.3-RELEASE CDROM
> version, with no problem, if locally booted, and with some
> effort when doing the upgrade from an NFS mounted CDROM over
> the network (mostly, SSH problems with the pam.conf files
> when the SSH changed to need explicit pam.conf entries, and not
> using the generic entries if the SSH ones were missing, as the
> PAM design documents with which SSH does not comply indicate
> you should do...).  You also have to run the sysinstall from
> the CDROM, which is not on the CDROM itself, and is hidden in
> the boot images -- and must be named "sysinstall", because it's
> a crunched binary.  The only other issue is that you must
> manually copy ove /dev/MAKEDEV and /dev/MAKEDEV.local, and run
> "sh MAKEDEV all" to get the /dev/random set up correctly, but
> all this can be done prior to the reboot.

FWIW, modern -CURRENT's should be able to downgrade to -STABLE
without problems.  If it's broken, please let me know, and I'll
fix it.  I mean "if it WILL be broken", as tonight's -CURRENT
has successfully built -STABLE.  Didn't test the `installworld'
part, but I don't believe there are any problems with it.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Oracle Developer/DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age