* Nat Lanza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020207 10:30] wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 12:59, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > These comments are not useless, most committers have day jobs that
> > unfortunetly preclude them from having time to work on every little
> > feature request.  Furthermore asking for patches is the exact
> > opposite of being smug at least in the way of flaunting one's commit
> > priveledges, it's providing the user an opportunity to present work
> > for inclusion into the project.
>
> Surely you see the difference between "That's an interesting idea; can
> you generate some patches so we can take a look and see how it works
> out?" and "WhereTF is your patch to do this?".
>
> One provides an opportunity for users to contribute, and the other is a
> snarling, rude dismissal that really doesn't do very much to encourage
> people to stick around and help out.

No, they both offer users a chance to conribute, however the second
let's the person know that they are bordering on annoying the person
and should take some time to work on the actual implementation.
Would you rather have someone's irritation or just be killfiled?
Some people need to buck up and grow a thicker skin.

Neither I nor David are in anyway compensated directly through our
involvement in the FreeBSD project to pull punches nor coddle people
that should know better.  Moving forward, let's postpone taking
this conversation any further until the time that the work requested
does become available.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/