Is anyone else seeing this? Running -CURRENT (been tracking it daily for a while, now), I find that if I run script(1), things basically run as expected... until I try to close script's stdin (normally, by entering EOT (^D)).
At that point, I can use the mouse (if I'm in an environment where that makes sense); I can switch among the ttyvNs (up to a point), but nothing indicates that any (other) characters are being read -- I can't use Ctl+Alt+Esc to break into the debugger; can't Ctl+Alt+Del to reboot -- it's power-cycle time (unless I remembered[*] that this was going to happen, and set up an "at" task to reboot at some auspicious time in the (near) future. I first noticed this a few days ago, in conjunction with my normal build sequence: I would fire up screen(1), within that "screen" session, fire up script(1), do the "make buildworld" & friends; after the mergemaster, I'd exit script(1), then reboot. Except that (starting a few days ago -- between Sunday - Tuesday, I think) I would hit ^D on the script session, and fail to get a shell prompt back. I could still type on xterms displayed on my laptop (the machine I was upgrading at the time) that were actually running on other machines (and get expected/useful responses back, too). And as alluded to above, setting up an "at" task ahead of time appears to work OK. I had thought that there might be some correlation bewteen this and some whines (warning messages) I was seeing from sudo(8), since I needed to have a different sudo executable for -CURRENT than I do for -STABLE. So, this afternoon, I removed sudo & re-built it (under today's -CURRENT). But then I discovered that the behavior (quasi-lockup) occurs even if I use script(1) as a "normal" user -- no use of sudo at all. This would seem to be A Bad Thing. Here's my recent CVSup history: freebeast(4.5-S) tail /var/log/cvsup-history.log CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Mar 4 03:47:03 PST 2002 CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Mar 4 03:53:29 PST 2002 CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Mar 5 03:47:07 PST 2002 CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Mar 5 03:54:20 PST 2002 CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Wed Mar 6 03:47:02 PST 2002 CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Wed Mar 6 03:53:38 PST 2002 CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Thu Mar 7 03:47:02 PST 2002 CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Thu Mar 7 03:53:22 PST 2002 CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Fri Mar 8 03:47:03 PST 2002 CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Fri Mar 8 03:53:39 PST 2002 And the laptop is presently running: g1-6(5.0-C) uname -a FreeBSD g1-6.catwhisker.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #93: Fri Mar 8 08:17:09 PST 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/common/S3/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W i386 g1-6(5.0-C) If some kind soul would care to loan me a clue, I'll be happy to hunt for causes and such. I can provide kernel configs, dmesg output, and the like on a Web page, if that would be useful -- but what I'm asking for at this point is hints for narrowing the scope down somewhat from "the entire known universe". (OK; that was melodramatic. Sorry.) * "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backaards," the Queen remarked. -- Lewis Carroll; _Through the Looking-Glass_ ("Wool and Water") Thanks, david -- David H. Wolfskill [EMAIL PROTECTED] I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise, recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement. To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message